[Techtalk] X11

James jas at spamcop.net
Sun May 12 10:02:50 EST 2002

On Sun, 12 May 2002, kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net wrote:

> In my RHL 7.3 with default init 3 the X-server is not just starting. While
> running 'gdm' and 'kdm' it gives back the prompt. While running 'startx'
> the log file shows this following error.
>
> I have also tried to 'ps' and killed any X server running and tried startx
> again. But the same damn error msg shown.
>
> _XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed

This means it failed to create the "socket" used to communicate with X
applications. Typically there are two sockets used, a file in
/tmp/.X11-unix/X0, and a TCP socket on port 6000.

> A few months back I had this problem or something similar to it. While I
> deleted everything of a file & everything started normally..but I forgot
> the name of the file.
>
> But I think it is one of these files......Xclients or xinitrc...
> /etc/X11/xinit
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/xinput
> /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xinit
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit
> /usr/X11R6/man/man1/xinit.1x.gz

Almost certainly not any of those... More likely, a file in /tmp such as
/tmp/.X0-lock or the directory /tmp/X11-unix - try deleting those two, if
they exist.

James.