[Techtalk] Getting rid of Aurora

Tabatha Persad tabatha3 at attbi.com
Sat May 11 08:57:18 EST 2002

Hey Dave,

> > I wonder why Mandrake took the opt-out for Aurora on 8.2... that is
> > pretty weird.
>
> First guess? It's just an oversight. But I simply don't know.

Well, according to the fellow I checked with, 8.2 supposedly doesn't HAVE
Aurora... of course, given what I've heard here, that was NOT the answer I
was looking for!

> > I know that RH is the sys admin's  dream distro and everything
>
> News to me! By some weird snag of fate, most of the actual sysadmins I
> know are running bsd! From my point of view, rh-suse-deb all have good
> points when administering, and it's a question of the box's role.
> 	Mandrake, due to its persnicketyness, just ain't in the running.
>
> > (or so the experts claim)
>
> That would _not_ be me.

Ah well, it's not as though the so-called experts who told me that are the
ONLY experts...

The only version of bsd I ever tried actually ran out of Windows... I didn't
want that... back in my early newbie days I wanted to actually partition and
run Linux, not pretend to from a fat partition...

Of course, when you get your hands on a distro that works, it's fairly easy
to turn a blind eye to the development of other distros... shame on me!
Maybe I need to pick up one more machine at Boeing Surplus (they sell 266's
for like $55=$65) then I can test other flavors of linux... I'm way too happy
with this machine to get rid of Mandrake and all these tools!

> Like all the distros, RH is making real progress. I would personally
> prefer it to Mandrake, but I have this infatuation with Debian that
> overrides (and really like SuSE too).
> 	Just got gentoo running and fooled around with it. Very neat idea,
> but don't even think about it if your builds are slow or you're on a slow
> modem. It's fun, but a real time waster too.
> 	Too many linuces, not enough time.

I totally agree!  In my case though, not enough machines!

Cheers,
Tab