[Techtalk] Getting rid of Aurora

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Sat May 11 01:16:35 EST 2002

Tab;
> Agree on the Mandrake fluff... I am lucky in that 8.1 has been extremely
> stable, and I have been able to use all my ... tools

Tres kewl! The thing I really like about Mdrake is the install. It's
simply outstanding, and their hardware discovery and startup is superb.
	If there's anybody out there who hasn't seen it, you can get
Mdrake disks from Cheapbytes.com for five bucks, and it's worth the price
of admission just to see how well something can install.
	Unfortunately, once it's on the machine, I hate it. I think it
would be terrific to be in a position where it actually did what I like,
as you are.

> I wonder why Mandrake took the opt-out for Aurora on 8.2... that is pretty
> weird.

First guess? It's just an oversight. But I simply don't know.

> While I sit here complimenting Mandrake, my boyfriend is stuck reinstalling
> RH 7.2 because of issues with Apache and the latest version of php, since his
> install of the latest php blew chunks.

I have run into trouble with php and ldap before; otherwise it has
genrally gone well (but I never tried with Mdrake).

> I know that RH is the sys admin's  dream distro and everything

News to me! By some weird snag of fate, most of the actual sysadmins I
know are running bsd! From my point of view, rh-suse-deb all have good
points when administering, and it's a question of the box's role.
	Mandrake, due to its persnicketyness, just ain't in the running.

> (or so the experts claim)

That would _not_ be me.

> If all Mandrake's subsequent distros were awful it wouldn't matter, 8.1 is
> safe and sound on cd... hehehe

I'm a big fan of that approach, really. I always keep a "safe" system
around half of forever when I upgrade. So far, I haven't backed out, but I
have relied on the "safe" paritition for months at a time to get me out of
trouble while I straighten out the "new whiz bang" version.
	Besides, if it works, leave it alone.

> One of these days I'll have to get friendlier with RH I suppose, but not on
> my dev machine! hehehe

Like all the distros, RH is making real progress. I would personally
prefer it to Mandrake, but I have this infatuation with Debian that
overrides (and really like SuSE too).
	Just got gentoo running and fooled around with it. Very neat idea,
but don't even think about it if your builds are slow or you're on a slow
modem. It's fun, but a real time waster too.
	Too many linuces, not enough time.

Dave