[Techtalk] why is my kernel so big???

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Fri May 10 11:10:35 EST 2002

> The initial lilo screen is a lilo.conf option.

Thanks, but not the problem as I pointed out before. In fact, I had
that disabled before first boot.

> For the other happy purple nonsense that gets thrown up instead of the
> system output,
>
> rpm -qa | grep Aurora

Sounded like a good idea so I did it. Result? Zip!
	So I ran a "locate urora" and came up with some driver module
software in both kernel source directories (Mandrake's and standard
2.4.18) but no .o files or any rpm package with urora in it (just being
careful about the cap A, which appears to be correct, by the way).
	The only thing with the cap A is a Aurora.xpm, which is doubtless
the playskool screen.
	So I fished around in the control center, but no obvious mention
of how to turn this off.

> But it won't hurt anything to get rid of it.  The init scripts go looking
> for it, and if it's not there they act like normal.

Hmm. Maybe I can find that script and kill it. Hold on.
	Nothing obvious, but a lot of cruft in /etc/rc.d/rc so I blew it
out. Nope. No luck.
	But wait, if I kill the "quiet" kernel directive, all that crud
goes away!
	Hmm. At this point I'd have to guess "quiet" also triggers
something that displays the "aurora" screen (there are a lot of
workarounds in rc.d/rc to fix bustage in aurora; I wonder why they think
this silly screen is so important?). Anyway, it all goes away at that
point, and there's even an optional lilo listing for a kernel started that
way.
	How demented!
	Curiouser and curiouser.