[Techtalk] why is my kernel so big???

/dev/null dev_null at iriXx.org
Thu May 9 23:11:45 EST 2002

complaints to: /dev/null

hi

> > complaints to: /dev/null
>
> Sounds like most of the spam I get :-)

hehe ;-)
yes, i thought i'd add that for fun ;-)

> Do you mean you get the "error" saying "Warning: kernel is too big for
> standalone boot from floppy"? If so, ignore that: just put the kernel
> image on a floppy along with LILO/grub/syslinux.

its not actually the kernel message... but Lilo complaining that it is too big... i managed to get the kernel size down so it didnt produce that 'error', but Lilo is still complaining :-(...

> If you mean it doesn't fit on a floppy, you need to turn some of your
> options into modules. A good place to start would be the sound drivers:
> you obviously don't need those until the machine has booted far enough to
> access the HDD!

well i've got it specifically set up with sound compiled only as a module and none of the specific drivers included - as i will be setting up also, which only involves selecting sound as 'module' in the first option, and turning off everything else (apparently it wont work otherwise).

> Basically, go through and change everything which isn't needed for booting
> into "M" rather than "Y". Then rebuild:
>
> make bzimage
> make modules
> make modules_install

okay.... i'll try again :-)
i've managed to change most things into M... there must be an awful lot of them though! i'm surprised that my original Mandrake kernel has all of these options selected as Y rather than M in its .config... strange...

then again, mandrake always is a law unto itself!

thanks and bw

miriam