[Techtalk] console size issue

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Mon May 6 08:27:57 EST 2002

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 11:24:38AM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Conni thought:
> On May 1, Akkana conjectured:
>
> > > Now the other problem: console size issue.  I got a VAIO SR-77, and it's
> > > only doing the console screen at about half size.  X does full screen, but
> > > not console.  it's somewhat irritating, even if I normally use X.
> >
> > I got the answer for that about a month ago on this very group.  Edit
> > /etc/lilo.conf, and make another copy of the section for your redhat
> > kernel (probably starting with "image=" and ending with "root=").
> > Give it a different label, label=test, or linuxxga, or something.
> > Then put this line into the new section:
> >
> > vga=773
>
> I added this to my grub.conf, and nothing has happened.  It;s still doing
> the mini-screen thing.
>
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage= (blah)
> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10)
> 	root (hd0,0)
> 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hda2
> 	initrd /initrd-2.4.7-10.img
>
> the 'test' configuration adds the line vga=773 below initrd.

You need to put the "vga=" on the "kernel" line.  It's an option you pass
to the kernel just like the "root=" option so it has to go on the same
line.

So, you would use

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hda2 vga=773

You can try "vga=ask" to be presented with a list of possible modes
at boot time.  This will allow you to try out different modes with
different custom kernels.  Once you have found a suitable mode you can put
that explicitely into the "vga=" option.  The code to use is printed in
the list of modes offered when you use "vga=ask".  My current text mode
(80x50) is specified by "vga=0xf07".  Almost anything else that goes on a
line of its own in lilo.conf goes on the end of the kernel line in
grub.conf (eg. "mem=" "hdd=ide-scsi" are two I use at home).

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)