[Techtalk] Re: Techtalk digest, Vol 1 #472 - Gnomba

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sat May 4 08:29:46 EST 2002

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 03:50:13PM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Marian Routh thought:
> On Monday April 29 2002 2:42 pm, techtalk-request at linuxchix.org wrote:
> > From: "Ralph Miranda" <dragonhawk007 at hotmail.com>
> > To: techtalk at linuxchix.org
> > Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:47:51 -1000
> > Subject: [Techtalk] Losing Gnomba Server Connections
> >

> > I'm able to hook up Gnome Samba Browser and connect to my LAN... but
> > the minute I shut down the browser.... everything disconnects and I'm
> > unable to search through out LAN using Nautilus....  I also tried to
> > activate Gnome Samba Browser (which was successful) then open up
> > Nautilus to see what was happening..  I was still unable to check
> > into the LAN system.  It worked great in Mandrake 8.1   but it
> > doesn't work in  Mandrake  8.2
>
> Hi - from the above post, I gather you are using Gnome.  I'm using KDE
> w/SuSE 8.0, and there is an app called LinNeighborhood, which is just
> like Windows' Network Neighborhood.  You have to be able to sign on as
> root (maybe it can be configured otherwise, I haven't really played
> with it), but it does work very well.  Don't know if its window mgr.
> specific.

You only need to suid /usr/bin/smbmount and /usr/bin/smbumount.  after
that you can run as an ordinary user.  Once you've done your browsing and
mounting of shares, LinNeighbourhood keeps a record of the connections you
have made and can reinstate those connections when run as
"LinNeighbourhood -m"  This is non interactive so you can stick it in your
.bash_profile (In fact, you can probably put it in /etc/profile for system
wide use.  AFAIK if there are no connections for a particular user, it
won't do anything...).  I keep forgetting that I'm using it, I just see
Windows shares as directories on my filesystem!

Further help on demand...

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)