[Techtalk] console size issue

Conni ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri May 3 11:24:38 EST 2002

On May 1, Akkana conjectured:

> > Now the other problem: console size issue.  I got a VAIO SR-77, and it's
> > only doing the console screen at about half size.  X does full screen, but
> > not console.  it's somewhat irritating, even if I normally use X.
>
> I got the answer for that about a month ago on this very group.  Edit
> /etc/lilo.conf, and make another copy of the section for your redhat
> kernel (probably starting with "image=" and ending with "root=").
> Give it a different label, label=test, or linuxxga, or something.
> Then put this line into the new section:
>
> vga=773

I added this to my grub.conf, and nothing has happened.  It;s still doing
the mini-screen thing.

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage= (blah)
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hda2
	initrd /initrd-2.4.7-10.img

the 'test' configuration adds the line vga=773 below initrd.

Other issues I'm having are getting the jogdial to work (I don't know
whether I have the right modules installed or how to find out, though once
I find that out, I'll revisit Akkana's page of stupid vaio tricks) and
getting apm to work.  apm -s suspends the machine, but when I try to wake
it up (by hitting any key or using the mouse, which work on the ibook), it
completely hangs.  A websearch on this problem indicated that I should
change the line in fstab from 'defaults' to 'noatime,remount', since it's
ext3.  That hasn't managed to fix anything (unless I'm going about the
wake-up procedure entirely wrong).

I'm also trying to get the internal wireless card configured, but I
haven't found any web source that says how. Plenty on pcmcia wireless
cards, though.

All of this, while I'm supposed to be studying for finals.

Conni

--
We are the Burgh.  Youns need assimilated.
			-John M

		  www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt