[Techtalk] ftpd not running, console size issue

Conni ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu May 2 05:37:17 EST 2002

On May 1, Akkana conjectured:

> Conni, if that alone doesn't do it -- for example, on my Redhat machine,
> it turned on anonymous ftp, but not ftp for specific users -- take a look
> at /etc/ftpaccess.  It may have some lines at the top that look like:
>
> deny-uid %-99 %65534-
> deny-gid %-99 %65534-

It let me login as myself (so far I've only tried this on one computer,
ftping to localhost), though those lines are in ftpaccess.  Should I still
comment them out anyway?

> Redhat seems to turn everything off by default (for security, I guess)
> -- every time I upgrade Redhat, I have to spend a while poking around
> figuring out the new incantations to turn net services back on.

*nod*  When I upgraded to 7.2, it turned off the sound from my CD player,
so I had to fiddle with all sorts of things until it came back on.  It
also turned off the 'print as postscript' setting, completely unbeknownst
to me, so when I printed a paper and it came out as boxes and assorted
garbage, I was thoroughly confused.  But I fixed it.

> Congratulations on the new Vaio!

Thanks!  Your recommendations and web page are very helpful :)  Still
getting used to the mini keyboard, though.

> I got the answer for that about a month ago on this very group.  Edit
> /etc/lilo.conf, and make another copy of the section for your redhat
> kernel (probably starting with "image=" and ending with "root=").
> Give it a different label, label=test, or linuxxga, or something.
> Then put this line into the new section:
>
> vga=773
>
> Then run lilo, reboot and select your new test image, and it should
> boot in 1024x768.  At least, it works on my SR17.

How different is grub from lilo?  There's a line 'title', followed by
root, kernel, and initrd.  Are those the ones to copy?  (It also indicated
that I don't need to rerun grub after changing grub.conf.  Interesting.)
Then if the test works, I just add that line to the other one?

Conni

--
It is the blood that makes us human...
			-Leiji Matsumoto, _Adieu Galaxy Express 999_

		  www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt