2.5 kernels anyone? Re: [Techtalk] Re: Linux Versions

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Fri May 3 11:36:49 EST 2002

Hi, Miriam, and everyone else,

> what i was wondering was... is anyone running 2.5 kernels? Caitlin, i
> noticed you were...  and how do you find them?

Errr.... no, I don't.  My newest kernel is 2.4.18.  I have no plans to
run a development kernel.

> anything to note.... or any particular kernel
> to avoid....

Mainly older ones.  Kernels before 2.2.20 and 2.4.17 have known
vulnerabilities.  Some distros (i.e.: Red Hat) patch the older kernels
and tack and extra number onto the version to indicate a later build.
So, for example, for Red Hat 7.1 and 7.2, kernel 2.4.9-31 denotes the
31st build of the 2.4.9 kernel.  It is heavily patched and has no known
vulnerabilities.

Also, some early 2.4 kernels (2.4.4 and 2.4.5, I believe) had bugs with
the support for the Toshiba Libretto PCMCIA floppy drive (Y-E Flash
driver).  There were probably similar issues with other types of (mainly
obscure or specialized) hardware.

All the best,
Caity