[Techtalk] multiple server backup

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Wed May 1 21:08:02 EST 2002

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 11:38:53AM -0400 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Michelle Murrain thought:
> What's the best way to do backup of multiple servers (in this case, a
> mail/news server and a web server)? The web server has the tape drive.
>
> There are 3 ways that it occurs to me to do the backup:
> - NFS (but security is then an issue)
> - rsync (but then that requires space on the web server)
> - scp/ftp (same as above)
>
> Suggestions? Something I'm missing? I've heard of NFS over ssh. Does it
> work? Is it hard to set up? Does it take care of the security issues of NFS?

<guessing>
AIUI you can make a tape drive accessible via the .rhosts file.  That
would allow you to do stuff like cpio -o server:/tape/drive < files_list
and archive directly onto the tape.  Or is that even more insecure than
nfs?
</guessing>

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)