[Techtalk] mutt is trying to drive me crazy ...

Mary linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Mar 28 15:37:51 EST 2002

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 07:30:10PM -0800, jennyw wrote:
> Both of them have performance issues when dealing with 10,000+
> messages, but so do a lot of other programs (IMP is the only IMAP
> client I know of that's smart enough to get only the headers it needs
> instead of all of them at once). Evolution has caching, which almost
> makes up for it.

It is also possible that the speed that Linux is accessing your hard
drive (although if you have an IMAP mailbox this might not be the case),
is the problem.

Linux sets much more conservative defaults for hard drive settings than
Windows does. It is possible to change these with the program 'hdparm' I
believe, but I never have, so be cautious :)

-Mary.