[Techtalk] mutt is trying to drive me crazy ...

Mary linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Mar 26 14:56:28 EST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 06:45:30PM -0800, jennyw wrote:
> set realname = "Jen Wu" set from = jennyw at dangerousideas.com ...
>
> Is this just plain wrong?

According to the mutt manual these ought to work. But I think I have
also had trouble using them. Hence the my_hdr alternative.

> > Incidently, when yousay you are looking for a good mail client, what
> > is your criterion?
>
> I use several mail clients. I guess I'd like a text-based one, and
> Mutt seems to be the one that everyone says is great.  My mail is all
> kept on IMAP servers, though, and I've heard that IMAP support in PINE
> is better, so I might try that instead (also, I used PINE years ago in
> college, so it'll be a bit more familiar).

I've never used IMAP in Pine, so it might well be better, but I have
used it in mutt, and it was fine for me in mutt.

> * It displays all the mail folders in alphabetical order. So Drafts
> comes before INBOX, for example.  * Its sort is case sensitive. This
> can really throw you off if you've got some folders that begin with
> lowercase letters and others that begin with upper-case letters ...  *
> Evolution seems to read all the mail headers in a folder before
> displaying an index. This is okay since I have a fast network
> connection, but it'd be a real pain if I were doing this over a modem.
> It'd be smarter to find out the total number of messages and just grab
> enough headers to fill a screen or two. Or to just have another thread
> grabbing messages and feeding them to the viewer.

You might want to find the Evolution bug reporting pages, web pages, or
IRC channels and discuss your thoughts with them. The case sensitiveness
is probably just a function of the fact that UNIX filenames, unlike
Windows filenames, are truly case sensitive. The last one sounds like a
bug (well, it works but is suboptimal), and you might want to report it,
after checking that it hasn't been improved in more recent versions.

> Anyway, I'm making progress! I'm sending this from Linux instead of
> Windows.

Yay!

-Mary.