[Techtalk] Possibly OT - learning to code using an email noti fication program

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Tue Mar 26 13:19:12 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-03-26 at 05:05, Davis, Jennifer wrote:

> My hope was to use perl or C++ as those are the ones I am learning
> currently.  As far as libraries go, I haven't got a clue.  I guess I was
> just going to use the ones that come with the distro, slack 8.  I guess I
> forgot to mention, I am just learning.  I can program in Pascal or Basic,
> but that's if you want a tic-tac-toe game.  Recently, I started to learn
> PHP, though that is mostly from copying other's code and manipulate it for
> my purposes.
>
> Thinking she just may be over her head...

Settle at the moment for something which will read the mailbox at all.
*I* wouldn't know how to do the fancy graphical stuff - mostly because I
prefer under-the-hood coding, admittedly, but the fancy graphical stuff
is kind of advanced. IMO. YMMV.

So start by just getting access to the mailbox to begin with. You're
-not- in over your head for that.

As for hunting in libraries - you just look in the documentation for
your distro, and on the 'web. You -can- do it all yourself,  using
library code is just the lazy way of going about it. :) Why reinvent the
wheel?

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/