[Techtalk] mutt is trying to drive me crazy ...

Mary linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sun Mar 24 16:25:38 EST 2002

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 04:37:26PM -0800, jen at dangerousideas.com wrote:
> So, what's going on? Why is it ignoring the contents of .muttrc?  Where
> is it getting values to override from?  It shows my realname as jennyw.
> I'm sure I must have set this somewhere, but I have no idea where. It's
> not an environment variable. Arg!

Probably it is either not setting them, or your mail transport agent is
overriding them.

In my case, using exim, I need to add myself to the trusted user list
before I am allowed to set my own From: header.

And the .muttrc line I use (for this address) looks like:

my_hdr From: Mary <linuxchix at puzzling.org>

Try using my_hdr ...

Incidently, when yousay you are looking for a good mail client, what is
your criterion?

mutt is good:
 * if you like text based, eg you login remotely a lot
 * if you like your existing editor
 * if you like existing tools for sending mail (I use exim), receiving
   mail (I use fetchmail) and sorting mail (I use procmail).

if you're looking for something different, for example, a mail client
that looks like Windows clients, a graphical client, or a 'does
everything itself' client, you might want to investigate other mail
clients, for example Evolution (if you use GNOME), KMail (if you use
KDE) or Mozilla's mail client, just to name three.

-Mary.