[Techtalk] Fetchmail/Postfix/Hosts: Part 2

Poppy Casper azurosedesigns at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 23 17:04:13 EST 2002

Happy weekend everyone =)

The good news is, I got my hosts set up... not perfect, but enough so
that fetchmail can find postfix.

Which means it must be time for something else to break. Still testing
fetchmail to make sure it's going to work... it logs into the remote
mail server, connects to my local mail server (Postfix), makes some
noise about what it's doing (sends to the remote what looks like some
guidelines for sending the mail, size, 8BITMIME, ETRN....). I then get
the MAIL FROM: header. Then it stops. No further prompt, no data appears
to be transferred. Have let it run for a good 30 minutes or so before
killing the process and trying it again.

Unfortunately, I know from this and my previous problem, that fetchmail
is so _simple_ to set-up, that everyone seems to assume that it's
foolproof, and I've found very little in the way of troubleshooting help
(in English) on what problems might happen on the way. Can anyone help?

Log of fetchmail attempt:
fetchmail: 5.9.0 querying pop.mail.yahoo.com (protocol POP3) at Sat 23
Mar 2002 04:00:20 PM PST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK hello from popgate(2.22)
fetchmail: POP3> USER azurosedesigns
fetchmail: POP3< +OK password required.
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK maildrop ready, 1 message (3457 octets) (3621
4194304)
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 3457
1 message for azurosedesigns at pop.vip.sc5.yahoo.com (3457 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 message (3457 octets)
fetchmail: POP3< 1 3457
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 3457 octets
reading message 1 of 1 (3457 octets)
fetchmail: SMTP< 220 bluegirl ESMTP Postfix (Postfix-20010228-pl03)
(Mandrake Linux)
fetchmail: SMTP> EHLO localhost
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-bluegirl
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-PIPELINING