[Techtalk] Fetchmail/Postfix/Hosts

Carlo Hamalainen ch at uq.net.au
Fri Mar 22 14:10:17 EST 2002

Hi,

On 21 Mar 2002, Poppy Casper wrote:
> Have changed the name in /etc/hosts - multiple times, in fact, and if
> I'd been more aware of it, I'd swear that it's changing the name in
> hosts back to localhost.localdomain....

Yep, it does change it. The entry for your machine in /etc/hosts is
dynamically generated from whatever is in /etc/sysconfig/network (at least
that's where it is on a RedHat 7.2 system).

If that doesn't help, try grepping through all of etc to find occurences
of "localhost", and see if that's where the network thing is being done.
For example,

	grep -r localhost /etc/*

Will recursively look at all files in /etc for the text localhost.

Hope this helps,

-- Carlo