[Techtalk] Minicom to Cisco from Linux?

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Thu Mar 21 20:32:31 EST 2002

Heya --

	Argh.  Okay, I've had it, time to ask the geek list.  [grin]
I've set up a Linux laptop at work.  Xwindows with WindowMaker, very
little in the way of server applications.  I'm wanting to use it to
console into the Cisco routers in our development lab.

	A quick google suggested that Minicom would be the way to go.  I
downloaded it and installed it, but it doesn't seem to connect to
anything.  When I start minicom, it says, "Initializing modem", and then
just sits there.  I don't see the prompt for my router.

	This is a SuSE 7.2 system, 2.4.10 kernel.  The serial device
appears to be /dev/ttyS1, but I'm guessing at that.  (I don't know how
to tell for sure.)  There are no external mice or anything -- internal
touchpad -- so I don't see any reason why I wouldn't use the first
serial port.  I tried setting minicom to use /dev/ttyS2, but that didn't
make a difference.

	The serial options are set to 9600 speed, 8, none, 1, which is
default for Cisco routers.  Hardware and software flow control are both
off.  I tried this on two routers, one known good, so it's not the
router.

	Does anyone know how to a) check which serial port is in use, if
any, and b) make minicom work with the serial port rather than trying to
use a modem?  I am open to trying other programs besides minicom if
they'll do the job.  I was hoping to find something like TeraTerm or
SecureCRT's console port connection for Windows.  But I can't seem to
find anything in XWindows that serves the same purpose.

	Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Raven

"And then we release the killer bees, with dogs in their mouths!"
  -- ChrisJ, on "get away from my router" tactics