[Techtalk] Fetchmail/Postfix/Hosts

Poppy Casper azurosedesigns at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 21 20:05:54 EST 2002

Greetings and Salutations!

I've been lurking about for a bit, only slightly overwhelmed. I'm fairly
new to Linux, only been running it for a few months now, but I used to
use the UNIX terminals in college, so I'm reasonably familiar (as a
user) with the command prompt.

Running into a problem, and I posted this to NewChix, but it seems that
perhaps I'd be a little more likely to get an answer if I spread the
question around a bit. Here goes:

I've been beating my head against this for a few weeks, and not getting
anywhere. Hopefully, someone else will know how to get past this.

I'm trying to set up fetchmail... Fetchmail seems to be set up right,
but I can't get it to deliver my mail to postfix.

Here's what happens when I try to fetchmail:
fetchmail: 5.9.0 querying pop.mail.yahoo.com (protocol POP3) at Wed 20
Mar 2002 07:12:34 PM PST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK hello from popgate(2.22)
fetchmail: POP3> USER azurosedesigns
fetchmail: POP3< +OK password required.
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK maildrop ready, 3 messages (15936 octets) (16388
4194304)
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 3 15936
3 messages for azurosedesigns at pop.vip.sc5.yahoo.com (15936 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 3 messages (15936 octets)
fetchmail: POP3< 1 7587
fetchmail: POP3< 2 3549
fetchmail: POP3< 3 4800
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: POP3> RETR 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 7587 octets
reading message 1 of 3 (7587 octets)
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< <HTML>
fetchmail: Query status=10 (SMTP)
fetchmail: normal termination, status 10

Based on what I've found online, "connect to bluegirl failed" implies
that it can't deliver the messages to my machine. (that's the message it
gives me, I just noticed that it didn't spit it out to the text file I
saved the output to)

I have a suspicion that the reason it can't connect is because it can't
find what I've renamed my computer to. Changed computer from
localhost.localdomain to bluegirl.azurosedesign.com
Was my general impression that as long as I tell the computer that this
is its new name, that shouldn't be a problem. Is there a setting I need
to change that I'm missing?

Have changed the name in /etc/hosts - multiple times, in fact, and if
I'd been more aware of it, I'd swear that it's changing the name in
hosts back to localhost.localdomain....

Here's my /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               bluegirl.azurosedesign.com      localhost

Can't think what else might help you help me troubleshoot... I'd post my
main.cf in here, too, but that's a lot of text, for something that might
not be necessary.

Help!

--Poppy