[Fwd: Re: [Techtalk] New system question]

Gene Dolgner Gene.Dolgner at ArvinMeritor.com
Thu Mar 21 11:42:39 EST 2002

Thanx for the help from everyone on this one.  I've learned quite a bit
in the last 24 hours!

It's true, what I had was BIOS Beep Codes.  As some noted, this deals
directly with the BIOS and not the motherboard, although most
motherboard manufacturers deal with only 1 or 2 BIOS'.  I found an
excellent source for the BIOS Beep Codes, which has links to the various
motherboard vendors and code designations for most of the BIOS vendors

http://www.onsitepc.org/beep-codes.shtml

Mine turns out to be a bad video card (apparently).  I'm getting a
replacement today.  Reseating the board didn't help.

Thanx, Gene

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Techtalk] New system question
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:22:22 +0100
From: Hamster <hamster at hamsternet.org>
To: techtalk at linuxchix.org

What you are getting are bios beep codes. The code tells you which
component (pci card) is faulty. My memory is too fuzzy to be sure if
there are also codes for ram and cpu.

The codes are specific to the bios on your motherboard, so a visit to
your motherboard manufacturer's site is in order.

The other thing you can do is remove one card at a time until the beeps
stop. Then the fault is either with the card itself, or that maybe it
wasnt pushed in hard enough. Try remounting the card. If the beeps still
happen then its a trip  back to the store.

Let us know how you get on.

Hamster