[Techtalk] 2.4.9-31

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Mar 19 11:30:25 EST 2002

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 10:01:23AM -0800 or thereabouts, Judy Hayes wrote:
> The problem is that my job is to make this kernel work with my business's
> product.  We have customers working with this kernel version so it doesnt
> matter what level everyone else is on I have to support the customers :o(  I
> guess the first problem was that I am used to tar and not rpm which is what
> this file is.   Thank you all for your help... I am still stuck trying to
> compile however I am a little closer.  :O)

Are you trying to install a ready-built rpm file of a kernel?
There is a way to do this and it's on RH's site somewhere. It
is not so simple as "rpm --upgrade".

Something to note is that unlike most programs, RH's kernel
rpms are built so you can have multiple kernel rpms on the
machine. So if the new one breaks, you haven't lost the old working
one. So rpm --install (-i) will work at least as well as
rpm --upgrade (-U).

Aha.

http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/howto/kernel-upgrade/kernel-upgrade.html

It's fairly involved and complicated because it is trying to cover
all the bases. I must confess that although I use rpm wherever
possible, I actually use tarballs for kernels :) But if you want
the Official Red Hat Way to do it, then this or the "up2date"
command is it.

"up2date" is probably the way to go, actually. I believe up2date has
to be specifically told to upgrade kernels. Otherwise it will assume
that it should leave kernels alone.

If you have a defalt 7.2 box and walk through the HOWTO, then I am
not sure how relevant the section about lilo is, since grub seems
to be the default boot loader for 7.2.

Note that the list of "where to look" stops at 7.1, but if you replace
the version with 7.2 in the list of "where to find the rpm on the
updates site", you'll find it there. Along with kernel*-2.4.9-31.

Telsa