[Techtalk] More Squid

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Mon Mar 18 18:36:17 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth James (Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 04:20:57PM -0500):
> Nope, no pattern to when it cuts off or for how long or what pages.

	Of course; that would have been too easy.  [grin]

> It did seem as almost if the workstation stopped talking to the
> proxy, but I'm not 100% sure if that is true (I mean, if no requests are
> "working" there is going to be significantly less traffic).  I could
> however launch a ping and then see traffic again, so it wasn't as if the
> workstation was blocked off.

	I'm guessing that it's waiting on the reply to some particular
thing (whether intra-server or extra-server like a DNS lookup) and isn't
answering your clients' requests until it gets it...

> I thought maybe it was a DNS issue for the Squid box (unable to keep
> doing lookups?), so I tried a plethora of DNS servers: Our local one,
> our upstream's and the local major ISP's.  None really seemed to resolve
> the issue.

	Depends on what it's looking for.  Recently a friend of mine was
having a problem with his qmail server just hanging connections for a
few minutes.  Turns out qmail was ignoring /etc/hosts (what he was using
for DNS), and was then querying his DNS server for the location of
192.168.0.1, or some such.  tcpdump picked that up, but we had to be
watching the right interface to see the query.  And in a case like that,
it doesn't matter what Internet DNS server you use -- none of them are
going to know your private addressing.  So it may be something like
that.

	Or, of course, it could be something completely different.  Have
you tried squid-users or whatever the application mailing list is?

Cheers,
Raven

"Sed, sed, awk.  Like duck, duck, goose.  Sync, sync, halt.  It's the
 order of nature."
  -- me, after too long a day at work