[Techtalk] W2k NTFS and RHL 7.0

jfweber at bellsouth.net jfweber at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 17 21:24:25 EST 2002

** On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 01:24:11 -0500 Samantha <samanthablackmon at yahoo.com>dashed off this message:

pmfji,

**This problem is because W2K has its own bootloader and it takes over, with
**GRUB I found out that I could go in and make the changes in the bootloaders

w2k is notorious for screwing up any Non Microsoft OS.

However , IF you use LILO and install it into the mbr this problem just
doesn't arise .  (??!)  I don't know GRUB so it might not be posible to
load it that way.

The only hassle I get from w2k now is, any time I boot into it, when
switching back to Linux it complains that the drive wasn't properly shut
down and does fsck for a while.

The only problem I've ever run into w/ this setup is on the rare times
I want to remove the linux and w2k partitions ... but  the old Dos /mbr
OR OS2  /mbr newmbr will set the thing back to the origional version.
There is also a commmand that I mis-remember at the moment. It will
uninstall the lilo setup in the mbr and restorre it to whatever it was
before .  THe does NOT work well if you have already wiped your HD , tho
<g>

Jfw
"Goddess in Training "

afterthought : Just because I'm paranoid does not mean that they're not out to get me.