[Techtalk] W2k NTFS and RHL 7.0

Samantha samanthablackmon at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 02:24:11 EST 2002

On Wednesday 13 March 2002 02:03 pm, a magikal owl from phiber2001 delivered
> Well, according to http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/lilo.html
>
> I tried to dual boot RedHat Linux 7.0 along with Windows 2000 Professional
> NTFS. Everything went absolutely fine. When I reboot it gives two options
> as Windows 2000 and Linux. But when I want to boot from linux the screen
> goes blank with only a cursor blinking and nothing happens. But when I go
> for the option of booting for Win2000, windows boots fine. Then again when
> I put the LILO Floppy it starts Linux Loader from the floppy. But all I
> want is to boot from the HDD according to the
> above-mentioned  link. But I don't know what mistake I made. Or it is that
> I simply can't dual boot NTFS and ext2.
>
> My lilo.conf looks like this:
>
> boot=/dev/hda8
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
>
> message=/boot/message
> linear
> default=dos
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
> label=linux
> read-only
> root=/dev/hda8
>
> other=/dev/hda1
> label=windows2000
>
> My boot.ini looks like this:
>
> [Boot Loader]
> Timeout=5
> Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
> [Operating Systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft
> Windows 2000
> Professional" /fastdetect
> c:\bootsect.lnx = "Linux"
>
> Well, I also have a file named vmlinuz in c:\. I tried the whole process
> with removing the vmlinuz file from c:\.
>
> Any help from anyone on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks a million.

Phiber-
Well I know creating such a dual boot system is possible because I am running
W2K on a NTFS partition and RH 7.2 on a ext2 partition on my laptop. I had a
similar problem when I installed on both my laptop and my desktop (dual with
WinXP). I could boot fully into Linux with a boot disk (I use grub rather
than LILO because it was a disaster for me a couple of years back) but not
from the hard drive.

This problem is because W2K has its own bootloader and it takes over, with
GRUB I found out that I could go in and make the changes in the bootloaders
(which I did on one machine), or believe it or not just reinstall GRUB while
booted into Linux (which I did on the other). I am not sure if this will work
with LILO but it is worth a try.

Samantha (#linuxchix's Teknogrrl)