[Techtalk] Lindows/OS X/Linux and the future?

Glenda R. Snodgrass grs at theneteffect.com
Thu Mar 14 23:48:05 EST 2002

> If I have wine installed on my linux box (which I do), does that mean
> I theoretically should have all I need to be able to run windows apps?
> Or do I still need a copy of Windows (perhaps on the other partition
> of a dual-boot system)?

Theoretically you don't need Windows at all (either dual-boot or in
VMWare) if you have wine, but wine really doesn't work that well in
general, from what I can tell.  Corel did a lot of work on wine and used
it to port their Corel 2000 office suite, which is probably a good part of
the reason why that suite never became popular, as it's huge and unstable
and doesn't in any way resemble Linux software in general.  From what I
can tell, you can really work wine and tweak it half to death to run a
particular app (like the Corel suite, or the Crossover plugin which works
quite well), but to just generally load it and run a random Win app or
two, it doesn't seem to work.  The few apps I've tried to run on it would
either not run at all, or they'd run but weirdly - fonts all messed up,
streaks, missing words, calculations not performed properly, etc.  It just
doesn't work. YMMV of course.

If you actually need a Windows app, much better to use VMWare which
works fabulously.  The latest version (3.0) is so fast and smooth, it
loads boots up as quickly as Star Office 6.0 does. <g>

--
Glenda R. Snodgrass

Before you begin, consider ... The Net Effect
http://www.theneteffect.com
(251) 433-0196