[Techtalk] Re: Zlib vulnerability (fwd)

Jp Calderone kuran42 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 12 17:12:29 EST 2002

(In bash) You can use this to find all the statically linked executables
on a system:

find / -perm +111 | xargs -iFILE bash -c "
  if file "FILE" | grep statically > /dev/null 2>&1; then
    echo FILE;
fi
"
There's probably a way to do it without the bash-per-file invocation,
but I can't
work out just how at the moment...

<why>
find's behavior here is to print out all files in the given directory
("/") and all its
subdirectories that match the given predicate, which is that they must
have at
least one bit from the permission mask provide, "111".  "111" indicates
that the
file is executable to some user.  xargs simply applies the given command to
each of its inputs.
</why>

On my system this turned up about 10 files, most of which were system
utlities
that could potentially be used during bootup, e2fsck, and some trivial
helper
programs like cmp, and of course, vmlinuz; I think, aside from the
kernel, most
systems will be in little danger of having statically linked zlib
programs, but YMMV,
and it never hurts to be sure :)  Once you find the static binaries, a
grep for something
like "inflate" will probably show if it uses zlib for decompression or
not; even if it has
been stripped, zlib has a few string literals that should still cause a
match .

  Hope this is helpful...