[Techtalk] Re: Zlib vulnerability (fwd)

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Tue Mar 12 16:05:58 EST 2002

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Raven, corporate courtesan wrote:

> 	So, does anyone here know what actually uses zlib under Linux
> that would use static linking?  I've no idea.

I've been trying to track that down for most of the day; mandrake finally
posted their stuff; SuSE's list was up this morning, and Red Hat had
theirs up yesterday.

some of the common culprits:
gpg
rsync
cvs
rrdtool
freeamp
netscape (still waiting for stuff from them)
vnc
the kernel
mandrake's gcc3.0 and gcc-2.96
mirrordir
ppp
chromium (mandrake something)
HDF
XFree86

Per mandrake's site,
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/security/2002/MDKSA-2002-023.php
some of these packages have been patched to be dynamically linked, but
they will need to be updated.  A lot of them will still have their own
code for zlib in them that has been fixed.

see http://www.linuxsecurity.com for links to vendor's sites and more
info.

--mandi