[Techtalk] Bizarre Squid issue

James james at james-web.net
Sat Mar 9 19:30:23 EST 2002

Setup:

K12LTSP workstations <--> | K12LTSP Server with Two NICS (ipmasq) | <-->
**Private LAN** <--> | Debian Squid Proxy Server with Two NICS |
**Internet**

Now, I'm finding a peculiar issue with it.

The Squid proxy (from the Debian testing tree), will randomly decide to
deny the LTSP clients access to the proxy server (Right now this is a
proxy only for them, to get out onto the internet, I have not had a
chance to experiment with non-LTSP machines to compare and find out if
it was some issue with K12LTSP specifically).

When I mean randomly, I mean RANDOMLY.  As in, I can be surfing through
the Squid proxy and then it suddenly deny all my workstations access
(Proxy refused request, or something similar, in Opera).  Then, if I
leave it for a few minutes, it will work flawlessly again (No Squidguard
installed).

Any ideas on what is going on?  The ACL isn't restrictive at all.  It
lets my entire 10.75.0.0/16 in.  Next week when I'm able to get on site
again, I'll experiment with non-LTSP clients.  However, if I logon to
the K12LTSP server and try to use it there, it also blocks it there too,
so I'm slightly inclinded to believe the LTSP stuff is not at fault.

I also watch top and I'm pretty sure it isn't like the squid process
isn't maxing out all available memory, but I'll watch again and check.

Any helpful clues/hints?  I'm thinking about compiling out of source,
maybe the Squid in Debian testing is br0ken.

- James