[Techtalk] linux helpdesk software?

Caroline Patterson carolinp at rd.bbc.co.uk
Mon Mar 4 12:05:53 EST 2002

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, bsweeney wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Once of my co-workers has been trying to get a good helpdesk/computer
> tracking database setup in my department, and I started looking as well
> but have been unable to find anything that's really flexible.  I was
> wondering what other linuxchix might be using?

My department currently uses the software you can get here:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/webtodo/

A couple of the guys here wrote it (so I'm not biased in any way ;)

> We're looking for something that's:
>
> 1) Very flexibe.  Like to be able to edit what fields are in different
> forms/tables, like adding types of hardware that aren't built into the
> database.

All forms are highly customisable text files - and are easy to set up,
change and add to.

> 2) Fairly easy to use/admin/setup.  Unfortunately, neither myself nor
> anyone else that would be using this knows php or mysql/postgresql all
> that well.

webtodo is written in perl, and uses text files for configuration and
data. No database knowledge required.

> 3) Web interface

Day-to-day use is all done with a web interface. Users and customers are
alerted by email when new requests are submitted, and the email includes
the URL of that specific request for tracking purposes.

> 4) Real-time "queue" of issues, viewable by users reporting problems and
> tech support staff

The web interface gives you the list of items submitted, in a variety of
orders (by date submitted, by date due, by person work assigned to).
Also, overdue requests are coloured red, completed requests are green, etc.

> 5) Different levels of users, those that can add machines, address
> issues, etc, and those that can just submit problems and view status of
> problems.

Users can be added to different groups, and can be given a variety of
privileges. People without an account on the system can still add
requests and track them with task ID.

> 6) Chat room/posting board for users to communicate with admins and each
> other (this would be a nice feature, but not necessary)?

We use a talker for this purpose, but irc would do just as well. It's
not part of the webtodo system.

> 7) Free, or at least cheap (<$200)

webtodo is free

> We'd like to try and make the trouble-ticket sytem tracker software all
> one package, since they'll share a lot of data anyway.

Hard to tell if it'll suit your needs exactly, but may be worth a look.

all the best
Caro