[Techtalk] Removing mail through IMAP

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Sat Mar 2 05:59:22 EST 2002

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 06:27:23AM -0800, Hans Tegnerud wrote:
> Thanx everyone for the help with pop-ing mail from
> Yahoo... I now pop with fetchmail, send with postfix
> and are trying to set up Courier-imap for IMAP access!
>
> Coming from MS Exchange servers and Outlook (using
> MAPI) I'm relearning how mail works...
>
> Because I'm trying to create a replacement for MS
> Exchange mail services I installed Courier-imap to
> handle Maildir mailboxes (I want sub folders).
>
> What's confusing me is that when I move or delete a
> mail it's marked as deleted in the source folder (and
> optionally moved to the target folder) but it doesn't
> disappear. This leave me with multiple copies of the
> same mail, all but one marked as deleted. I can't find
> any setting to solve this in Courier-imap.
>
> Has anyone of you experienced this behavior?

In IMAP, it takes a separate command to purge the "deleted" messages.
Your mail client should have the command somewhere. Some clients call
it "compact folders" or something like that.

I don't think your server could or should be doing this. It just does
what your client tells it to do.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net

The internet is central to everything we are doing.
	--Bill Gates