[Techtalk] Changing Hardware in Linux

ellie ellie at mn.rr.com
Fri Jun 28 10:43:11 EST 2002

I agree.  With Mandrake 8+ it is as easy as putting in the new NIC and restarting the computer.  Mandrake has support for almost everything built right into it.  I didn't even have to change any network settings with my previous Mandrake installation.  On the other hand, my Debian box is running a kernel that includes support for only what I need and use, which means I'd have to recompile the kernel were I to swap NIC's.  In the past, I've found it helpful to search the threads at Linuxnewbie.org to find people who have sought help for hardware situations similar to my own.  Ellie