[Techtalk] Changing Hardware in Linux

Davis, Jennifer JDavis at JUSTICE.GC.CA
Fri Jun 28 11:18:54 EST 2002

Wouldn't this depend on which distro you are using?  For example, when I
change hardware on my Slackware computers, I edit the relevant etc files and
reboot install the card.  Afterward the machine rebooted I would run
netconfig.  When I was playing with Mandrake, Mandrake had an autodetect
feature much like Microsoft's but it was a console screen.  I admit I am no
expert.

Win98 and nic cards seems to me to be unneccessarily difficult.  Rebooting
more than once (it can be 3 or more times) to get some cards working (if at
all) seems to

-----Original Message-----
From: Marian Routh [mailto:malke at attbi.com]
Sent: 2002 Jun 28 10:02 AM
To: techtalk at linuxchix.org
Subject: [Techtalk] Changing Hardware in Linux

Hi, all.  After spending time doing a difficult install of a NIC on a
client's Win98 system (Win98 - dumb as a brick), it occurred to me that
I don't know how to work with hardware in Linux in terms of upgrading
and/or replacing components.  I've got lots of Linux books, but they
don't focus on something as basic as "I've got to uninstall my old NIC
and install a different one".  Can you point me to a good source,
HOW-TO, book, etc.?

Thanks,

Malke
--