[Techtalk] Slightly OT : PHP and MySQL books

BUNTER MATTHEW Matthew.Bunter at renaultvi.com
Tue Jun 18 16:41:00 EST 2002

--- Reçu de       VITEUR.BUNTERMA 04 72 96 57 77             18/06/02 16.41

All,

My summer vacation is coming up - three weeks away and 5 mins walk to the
beach - and I have decided to really develop my PHP and MySQL skills.
Nothing to do with work BTW.

There are two books that seem to be highly rated on Amazon; Web Database
Applications with PHP and MySQL from O'Reilly and PHP and MySQL Web
Development from SAMS. The SAMS book gets four and a half stars from 12
reviews and the O'Reilly five stars from one review. This is according to
the Amazon.co.uk site anyway.

I think that I have a pretty good grounding in MySQL but really want to get
into making web based sites/forms/admin etc. The goal is to try and market
myself as a PHP/MySQL developer in the future but I don't just want to rely
on phpmyadmin (which is wonderful IMHO).

So my question is this :

Has anyone had any experiences with either of these books? If so please
give details and which one would you recommend for what I want to do. I
have devoured most of the tutorials I can find involving PHP and MySQL but
if anyone can pass on "intermidiate" type documentation that is free on the
web it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Matt

  -> TECHTALK(a)LINUXCHIX.ORG