[Techtalk] Config DSL for RH

Rei Ayanami eva_00 at juno.com
Sun Jun 16 02:25:52 EST 2002

Hi James and all,

I don't believe my DSL provides DHCP because when I do an automatically
configured with DHCP, it not only doesn't configure my network correctly,
but it also changes my login into level 3 instead of level 5.  When I
used Win2k, I didn't actually configure anything in windows, but I
actually accessed the router itself (via a browser) and configured the
router to the DSL settings.  The router actually does the DSL login for
me so that I don't have to login each time I use the internet.

--Rei

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002 20:32:00 -0400 James <james at james-web.net> writes:
> Does your DSL router provide a DHCP server for your local network?
>
> If so, you should just have to turn on DHCP in Linux ("dhcpcd" in
> Red
> Hat, iirc) and you should be flying.
>
> Unless your DSL router is really a DSL modem and you need some kind
> of
> PPPoE setup to connect.
>
> Let me put it this way: How would you connect a Windows machine?
>
> - James
If you think either me or Serial Experiment Lain is just plain weird, you
should read some works of Ted Nelson and Vannevar Bush and John C. Lilly
on Xanadu...they thought of mentally synching with the Wired in the
1930-50s!  Another grave reminder that philosophy and computer science
should NOT mix...ESPECIALLY when LSD is involved.--Quantum Smurf