[Techtalk] alsa and thinkpad 600E

Akkana akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Jun 15 11:10:27 EST 2002

/dev/null writes:
> module snd-cs4236 seems to be loading okay. when i do insmod snd-cs4236,
> insmod sound, insmod snd, insmod soundcore, all are happy :-)
> but when i try to run alsamixer i get
>
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

I had problems getting alsa utilities to run, or the module to load
automatically, on my main machine when I reinstalled the OS.  I finally
figured it out: although I had installed the ALSA drivers, libs, and
modules, I had forgotten the step (mentioned in the mini-howto on the
main ALSA web site,
http://www.alsa-project.org/~valentyn/Alsa-sound-mini-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.6
) of running ./snddevices in the drivers directory.
When I did that, things started working much better.

I'll be SO happy when the 2.6 kernel is ready and alsa is built in
to the kernel (and shipped with redhat) instead of being an add-on.
I'm sure things will work much better then.

I notice the ALSA site has a new ALSA howto wiki, at
http://alsa.opensrc.org/
That's new since the last time I looked.

	...Akkana