[Techtalk] Keyboard/mouse probs

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Jun 13 13:53:09 EST 2002

At 08:19 PM 11/06/02 +0100, Rain wrote:
>I have a Twinhead laptop (model SLVX2-266TG) it is basically a 266 MHz PII
>with 64 Meg ram.  I installed RedHat 7.2, all went well during the
>installation using the graphical installer but on rebooting and then going
>into KDE the mouse and keybaord wont work.  It is as if there is some sort
>of conflict.  I tried installing Redmond Linux and the same thing happened.
>I have installed now four times and everytime the same thing happens.  Any
>idea where to start looking??
>Many thanks

Well, are you getting any error messages?  Is it just KDE that it won't
work with, or does this happen with any X window manager?  What type of
mouse and keyboard are they?  (The internal ones for your machine, or
external ones?)  Do the mouse and keyboard work in console mode?

Obviously if the graphical installer is working, your mouse and keyboard
are supported and *can* work, so my best guess would be that your X
settings are the culprit here.  Take a look at your XF86Config file
(probably somewhere like /etc/X11, but it depends on what distribution
you're using.  You can use "locate" to find it.) and see if you can see any
obvious mistakes (eg: your laptop mouse, if it's internal, is likely PS/2,
so make sure that the right device is being used and it's not listed as a
serial mouse).

Also, if you haven't, take a look at http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ and
find your laptop or similar ones.  See if anyone's had similar
problems.  Even if they haven't, you could always try emailing people who
maintain pages -- I imagine most people would be happy to help out a fellow
laptop user. :) (I know I've provided XF86Config files and kernel settings
for people who've emailed me about my laptop!)

Hope that helps some.  It's hard to get a more useful answer without more
information!

  Terri