[Techtalk] re: domain name problem

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Wed Jun 12 17:08:10 EST 2002

Rick:
>  I found the reference in /etc/samba/smb.conf.  I am used to smb.conf being
> in /etc, as it is on my SuSE 7.3 and prior machines.  Apparently, the SuSE
> people have decided to put it in its own samba directory under /etc rather
> than just keep it in /etc.

In the "good old days" SuSE would hit you with a post-install flurry of
email to root (or whomever is the mail alias) about various config changes
that may have been made (for whatever reason).
	Did that not happen in this case? (Again, I'm a samba-dope, don't
know anything about it).
	If not, as they say, "that's a bug." But we can all expect to see
file locations dancing around for a while, since there is a newish
standard coming online that should eventually lead to some good measure of
binary portability among linuces. Some of this is the price we'll have to
pay.

Dave