[Techtalk] Poll: who uses Linux in a business setting

Megan Golding meggolding at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 26 17:20:51 EST 2002

--- Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
> Just curious who actually uses Linux for work: for your own
> business, serving customers, anything beyond tinkering in
> your back bedroom. Show of hands, please.

*raises hand* Me, too.

The development team I'm attached to all develop in a Linux
environment, so I guess I picked it up to help with the learning
curve and gain some credibility. Started with the Linux, then
DocBook, then (X)Emacs...sed is now my current best friend :)

One of our sysadmins gave me a huge compliment one day when he said,
"You're making Linux work as a business user. That's cool." As far as
business use goes, I've actually gotten away from a lot of that
because I've found other ways to get stuff done. I installed a Wiki
on our intranet to post our system documentation (I'm a tech writer).
That avoids the sticky Word issues. Even our head Marketing person
has said she likes the Wiki!

So, rather than try to make the business apps in Linux work like the
MS apps the business ppl use, I'm working at finding other ways to
accomplish the same tasks business apps might have done.

Meg

An interesting post script about *nix in the workplace: The sysadmins
at our office set up a shared drive for the Windows users on a
FreeBSD box running Samba...I chuckle every time I think of those
users "mounting the Z:\ drive".