[Techtalk] Poll: who uses Linux in a business setting

octal at solon-ohio.com octal at solon-ohio.com
Fri Jul 26 14:56:57 EST 2002

Carla Schroder wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Just curious who actually uses Linux for work: for your own business, serving
> customers, anything beyond tinkering in your back bedroom. Show of hands,
> please.
>
> Carla

Count me in. I run a very small building contracting company and we've
run Linux exclusively on our network for over 5 years. Simple stuff,
really, mainly spreadsheets, word processing, etc. but we've
successfully avoided the Microsoft tax and the associated third party
software costs by running open source. In dollars and cents, Linux and
the Internet have brought our yearly software expense down from
$1,000US/$1,500US each year to <$80US most years. I know that's not big
$$$$$ but in a two person company, an extra $920-$1,420 saved each year
is nice. :-)

cheers.
octal