[Techtalk] Do I even think about upgrading it?

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Sat Jul 20 20:22:50 EST 2002

Telsa:
> He laughed.

Perfect!
	I was, of course, a tad on the unaware side that you were married
to Alan. What fun! It must be odd to hear folks gush about your husband on
a public list, but then I have somewhat the same experience when people go
on about something Ak did ... I sorta like it, hope you did too.
	Of course, Ak had some fun with me.

>     * If I put Windows on a box, it would have to come off the LAN
> (security...)

We have a similar situation here, by consensus. Though now and then I hook
it up (for example, to run Moz tests. Woo!)
	I've run various BSDs too... but Linux has become home base.

> Since I have no intention of using Windows

I still start it up every couple of weeks or so. I am "not pure." I also
run a Mac. If there's an OS, I just have to try it. Dweeb.

> it's actually only barely larger than an iPaq and comes with lots
> of funky Japanese characters on the keys).

I'd _have_ to get linux on it. Compulsion.

> He said he cheats :) He has a tool called sysgen which installs
> minimal RH 7.2 setups onto a hard disk: you put the disk into a
> slightly more useful box than the PC110, run 'sysgen', and put
> the disk back into the PC110.

This should be very useful for Caity, and now I'll have to try it too.
Dang. Another project.

> (I didn't know any of this!)

Me too neither.

> That provides a basic RH 7.2 with X, rvxt and Sylpheed and then he
> adds XFce for a pretty X which doesn't munch the RAM he has(n't)
> got.

Great choices all! I've got to doodle with XFce. Already an rxvt/sylpheed
fan.

> I asked him about Caity's box and he said a 2.4.18-ac kernel
> (or any kernel with rmap) tends to outperform 2.2 on a low-memory
> box.

That's a very useful eye-opener for me, both surprising and useful. My own
stabs at 2.4 on the Zenith have been sluggish and bleah, but of course I
had to try it. Obviously, I took the wrong approach (and presume this is
the best news yet for the Caity. Woo!)
	On the other hand, a quick glance implies that rmap is pretty new,
the Rik Van Riel VM thang that's been noising up kernel traffic? Very new
news to me, and shows you what I know.
	I think it would be great fun to pump up the old beast with 2.4!

> He's actually written a short guide to Linux and low
> powered boxes, but clearly he hasn't put it up anyway :)

We all want it!

> I shall send it separately to techtalk if people are interested:
> it's what the limitations for Linux on little or old boxes are
> and how to get around them.

We know there are at least two interested people. If nobody else wants to
see it, the 'd' key works great.
	Please do!
And I'm assuming this will help make it practical to jam some nifty new
stuff on our friend's RH box, sidestepping the whole Debian issue. All to
the good, sez me. It's best if folks can try something new when they're in
the mood, and not pressed by circumstances.
	Thanks very much!