[Techtalk] Do ipchains commands work in 2.4?

Sonja Krause-Harder skh at gmx.com
Mon Jul 15 19:56:29 EST 2002

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 09:06:35AM -0700, jennyw wrote:
> I'm going to migrate to kernel 2.4 (currently using 2.2).  I'd like to use
> iptables soon, but in the meantime, I was wondering if my current ipchains
> script would work with the new kernel.

skh at tick:/usr/src/linux/Documentation> grep -A9 CHAIN Configure.help
CONFIG_IP_NF_COMPAT_IPCHAINS
  This option places ipchains (with masquerading and redirection
  support) back into the kernel, using the new netfilter
  infrastructure.  It is not recommended for new installations (see
  `Packet filtering').  With this enabled, you should be able to use
  the ipchains tool exactly as in 2.2 kernels.

  If you want to compile it as a module, say M here and read
  Documentation/modules.txt.  If unsure, say `N'.

This basically means: it is possible to compile a 2.4.x kernel in a way
that won't break current ipchains setups. If this is the case with your
kernel, I don't know.

If you compile the kernel yourself, just make sure to set this option
to "Y".

hth

Sonja