[Issues] Re: [Techtalk] activists, a mission for you!

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Jul 15 10:16:23 EST 2002

What it does is give Verisign, now owners of the evil and horrible Network
Solutions, even more monopolistic control of domain names. There can be rules
about how to handle expired domains without giving the keys to the kingdom to
Verisign. They will get a cut of every single transaction, reducing all other
registrars to Verisign resellers. Customers will pay, whether they
successfully acquire an expired domain name or not. It does not address
making expired names available in a reasonable length of time- just finding a
way to make people pay for the privilege of getting nothing.

Take a good look in Verisign's proposal for all the restrictions: no domain
transfers. No refunds. No dispute resolution.

It will do away with registrar competition, which is bad for customers.
SnapNames, the proposed Verisign partner, charges $24 whether you win an
expired name or not. NameSeller charges $10, when you actually get it.

What we really need are more TLDs- it's absolutely silly the way it is now.
It creates an artificial shortage of domain names, which props up monoplistic
monsters like Network Solutions. ICANN was supposed to fix this. ICANN is
just a stooge for Verisign, I'm very disappointed in them.

Meanwhile, I'm agin anything that benefits Verisign/NetSol. What's good for
them is bad for customers, as anyone who has ever done business with them
will attest. I suggest reading Dotster's .pdf statement, referenced in my
original post, and the Verisign document, below in Jenny's post.

For further information, a 'verisign' search on Slashdot turns up a lot of
articles- read with the usual grain of salt, of course, but there's a lot of
good information there. These people are more brazen than Microsoft, and have
way too much control of an essential public resource.

Carla