[Techtalk] activists, a mission for you!

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Mon Jul 15 09:03:24 EST 2002

I read the WLS proposal from Verisign*.  I do think it's a bad idea, but
I also can't really see Dotster's point.  From reading the proposal
quickly, here's a summary plus comments in parenthesis:

The Waiting List Service exists as a way to manage what happens when
domain names expire. The way you get on the waiting list is to buy a
subscription to a currently registered domain.  You do this through your
registrar, not Verisign as they will not be dealing with subscribers
directly.  Only one subscription may exist at a time for a domain name, so
your registrar would check with Verisign to see if a subscription exists.
If it does, then you can't subscribe. If it doesn't, then Verisign will
let the registrar setup a subscription for a fee.  The registrar passes on
this fee to the consumer plus any profit they wish to make. When the
domain name you've subscribed for expires, you have first dibs.

My analysis: This might do away with some current abuse. I was surfing
Usenet and there's some evidence that some registars are doing some funny
things when domains expire, such as keeping them for themselves and
auctioning to the highest bidder**.  The WLS would be a way to centralize
what happens to expired domain names so that things are out in the open.
This is a very marginal improvement.  It does this by giving Verisign a
huge revenue stream potential.  But since it goes through second-level
registrars like Dotster, it also gives the other registrars a (smaller)
revenue stream potential.  I think Dotster's reason for complaining is
because they currently have a service similar to what Verisign is
proposing; having to go with Verisign's proposal means a higher cost to
the registrant, and also means that Dotster would need to share profits
(and possibly have smaller margins).

I do like the idea that all domain expirations should be handled the same
way, and not up to the whim of individual registrars.  I also think there
should be a waiting period before domains expire.  This particular idea is
problematic, though.  It does do a little to standardize what happens to
expired domains and it does give everyone some kind of involvement.  This
is of some benefit to registrants.  However, I think this proposal is more
about shifting who profits from registrants.  Currently, companies like
Dotster probably profit more than Verisign; also, domain vultures who grab
expired domains probably profit a lot off of people with expired domains.
The proposal would give Verisign a cut of all these profits.

* http://www.icann.org/bucharest/vgrs-wls-proposal-20mar02.pdf

** Read the whole thread in:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=hN398.34115%24X64.11564964%40news1.rdc2.pa.home.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dwaiting%2Blist%2Bservice%2Bverisign%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8