[Techtalk] Linux on a laptop problem

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Mon Jul 8 19:29:52 EST 2002

i haven't been following the thread at all .. but i'd like to add that my
dell inspiron 5000 has the exact same problem.  when the lid gets closed,
it suspends to memory ... i just compiled apm as a module and i won't load
it unless i absolutely need to ... lcd backlight goes out when the lid
closes still, and that's all i need.

i have observed, however, that once i load the apm module and then unload
the module .. when the lid is closed, it does suspend to memory.  this led
me to believe it's some configuration option in /proc but i haven't done
extensive research.

> IMO, this is Linux's big issue to breaking into mainstream acceptance:
> who the heck wants to patch their kernel instead of surfing for Precious
> Moments figurines on eBay or posting on a Dawson's Creek fan forum?
> Truth is Windows offers that perfectly, which is all that 99% of the
> Windows user base wants or needs.

as far as patching is concerned .. the time it takes to do so is pretty
negligable and the task is well documented.  from my perspective, i don't
see linux trying all that hard to win the mainstream market.  because
linux isn't really about marketing ... sort of like how paranoid sysadmins
choose openbsd .. people who are willing to learn a little here and there
and want the ability to do whatever they want to which ever part of their
os they want choose linux. :)

coldie