[Techtalk] Installing applications

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Sun Jul 7 07:39:51 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-07-07 at 07:21, ETKirk at aol.com wrote:

> I read the Install file and proceeded to follow the directions, beginning
> with running ./configure.  I immediately got a "Permission Denied" message,
> so I logged on as root.

That was a correct thing to do. :)

> I again ran ./configure . . . and got another error
> message - cc not found.  I figured out that I did not have a C compiler
> installed, but found that I did have one included in my distro packages and
> was able to install it with YaST without incident.

Also well done. :)

> Back to the shell . . . I again ran ./configure . . . and it started running
> . . . but it balked again, giving me another error message:
>
> *** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
>
> Apparently, Bluefish couldn't find gtk-config.

Good diagnosis.

> I did a search of my files,
> and I couldn't find it either,  I went to gtk.org, and found something about
> *-config having been replaced by pkg-config.  I do have a file
> /usr/lib/pkgconfig. - is this what bluefish wants?  If so, how do I point it
> to this file?  Do I need a different version of Gtk?  I have 1.2.10-284
> installed - bluefish says it wants 1.2.0 or better.

It looks like the problem is with Bluefish, *not* with you. (This may be
reassuring, or might not be. Be reassured that you have done Everything
Right, at least.)

I'd say that you are using a newer version of gtk than Bluefish is
familiar with, and that it expects libraries which gtk no longer has -
but this is based solely on -your- research not mine, and not any
familiarity I have.

If Bluefish is still under development, you should report this to the
Bluefish people. Perhaps email to Bluefish's support mailing list, or
see what their bug reporting system is like.

If noone on techtalk provides a better answer, go with that - and feel
free to ask us for help with bug reporting.

Hopefully, someone will have a better answer.

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/