[Techtalk] Installing applications

ETKirk at aol.com ETKirk at aol.com
Sat Jul 6 17:21:57 EST 2002

I originally posted this on newchix, and someone suggested I try posting it
out here as well, so here goes:

I am a very new newbie, having installed Linux only a few weeks ago.  This is
kind of a long-winded question, but I want to describe my problem as
explicitly as possible.

I'm running the SuSE 8.0 Personal distro.  Having explored the KDE and GNOME
desktops and learning a few basic shell commands, I decided to try installing
some software.

I wanted a good HTML editor - I have Quanta, but it seems fairly limited
compared to the editor I'm using in Windows (1st Page by Eversoft) - so I did
some searching on the Web and found Bluefish.  I downloaded Bluefish 0.7 and
successfully unpacked the tar archive into usr/local/src.

I read the Install file and proceeded to follow the directions, beginning
with running ./configure.  I immediately got a "Permission Denied" message,
so I logged on as root.  I again ran ./configure . . . and got another error
message - cc not found.  I figured out that I did not have a C compiler
installed, but found that I did have one included in my distro packages and
was able to install it with YaST without incident.

Back to the shell . . . I again ran ./configure . . . and it started running
. . . but it balked again, giving me another error message:

*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to gtk-config.
checking "for GTK  - microversion \>= 7"... ./configure: no: command not
found
./configure: test: -gt: unary operator expected
no
configure: error: GTK was not detected
./configure: exit: bad non-numeric arg `or'

Apparently, Bluefish couldn't find gtk-config.  I did a search of my files,
and I couldn't find it either,  I went to gtk.org, and found something about
*-config having been replaced by pkg-config.  I do have a file
/usr/lib/pkgconfig. - is this what bluefish wants?  If so, how do I point it
to this file?  Do I need a different version of Gtk?  I have 1.2.10-284
installed - bluefish says it wants 1.2.0 or better.  I downloaded 1.2.10-5
and attempted to upgrade, but got the message that it needed iconv.

Every step of the way, I'm getting deeper and deeper into unfamiliar
territory, and I'm beginning to feel really lost!

Any help will be greatly appreciated - I really would like to be succesful
with this!

Thanks in advance,

Erin Raasch