[Techtalk] No INIT found yet can boot from floppy

Raven Alder raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Fri Jul 5 12:18:51 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth Hamster (Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 02:50:25PM +0200):
> A very wild guess on my part is thinking the solution might lie somewhere in adding an init= line to lilo. But that really is a wild guess and the answer could just as easily be rotating the laptop to face north.

	That sounds like a good idea to me.  I would suggest

init=/bin/bash

or /usr/local/bin/bash or wherever your bash is.  See if that will boot
it.  If it does, take a look at /etc/fstab and make sure your entries in
there are correct for how you've partitioned your disk, etc.  Compare it
against the fstab on your floppy (mount the floppy as /floppy or
something and take a look there).  If they're different, try making the
appropriate corrections to the non-working version on your hard drive.

	If passing init as above to the kernel doesn't work, try booting
from floppy and looking at the fstab.  (Also, the above assumes you have
bash on your system.  If you don't, that won't work, replace it with
whatever shell you're using.  Bash is the default, so the above is
probably okay unless you've tweaked your system a lot.)

Cheers,
Raven

"rcalder-Ran-Elf-Fem-Cha died in The Dungeons of Doom on level 3.
 Killed by a fox, while helpless."