[Techtalk] simple reference book on Linux

Linda Laubenheimer ljl at rahul.net
Thu Jan 31 16:03:30 EST 2002

KLitman323 at aol.com wrote:

> << Message: 11
> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:42:41 -0600 (CST)
> From: "Glenda R. Snodgrass" <grs at theneteffect.com>
> To: <techtalk at linuxchix.org>
> Subject: [Techtalk] simple reference book on Linux
> Can anyone recommend a simple reference book on Linux?  My partner says there
> used to be an Oreilly pocket reference book, he thinks, but I can't seem to
> find it.  We have a client experimenting with Linux on the desktopat home,
> but he has no background in *nix at all, and he could really usea basic
> reference book on commands like ls | > cat and stuff like that.Any
> recommendations?-- Glenda R. Snodgrass >>
>
> I'd be interested in such a book, too.

*rustle* *dig* *crash*  Ah, how about "Learning Debian GNU/Linux", by
Bill McCarty, O'Reilly Publishing.  It comes with one of the boxed
Debian
Distros, or the ISBN number is 1-56592-705-2

> I have NO Linux experience, and going through the "Essential System
> Administration" book by Aeileen Frisch and published by O'Reilly is not doing
> me much good.

Ummmm... if it's the book with the light purple cover, I don't think
it's an O'Reilly.  If what you're trying to read is the O'Reilly
Sysadmin book (white cover with blue, I think), you will get very
confused, very fast.  That book drives me nuts.

Oh, fudge!  I just dug out my "Purple Book".  I should be thwapped,
hard!! It is "Unix System Administration Handbook", by Evi Nemeth,
et al.  It is published by Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-020601-6.  It
covers Linux (RedHat), Solaris, HP-UX, and FreeBSD.

> I'm actually more confused now than I was before.  The commands I did learn,
> are not in the book's earliest chapters (at least most of them), and what is
> in there I can't seem to get a grasp on.

Hmmmmm.  I may have to dig out my copy and come up with some sort of
a study guide.

> I'm trying the recommended Chapter a day -- but its rough.

Well, try dropping it to a chapter a week, and post questions to the
list.  Also, see if you can get the purple book, which can be read a
chapter at a time.

	Linda "bad memory for titles and authors" Laubenheimer
--
Linda J Laubenheimer - UNIX Geek, Sysadmin, Bibliophile and Iconoclast
http://www.modusvarious.net/ - consultants available