[Techtalk] at wit's end with PHP to MySQL

Linda illini.engineer at att.net
Wed Jan 30 21:24:49 EST 2002

I am new to Linux. Have RH7.0 running on a Thinkpad600.

To help me develop PHP scripts, I installed Apache and MySQL
using the RPMs that came with RedHat. I built the PHP RPM from
source files.

Apache and PHP works together, but when I try to use PHP to
connect to MySQL, I get the error message "Can't connect to local
MySQL server on socket /tmp/mysql.sock"

According to phpinfo( ), I have a built of PHP that has MySQL.

I have no clue what is wrong. I have tried all the solutions I have
been able to find on the web.

Linda