[Techtalk] IANA and port numbers

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Sat Jan 26 21:10:01 EST 2002

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 03:47:53PM -0600, Julie wrote:
> David Merrill wrote:
> >
> > I need to come up with an "official" port number for ScrollServer to
> > use. Does anyone have any experience working with IANA? Can you give
> > me any pointers? Should I even register a System Port Number?
>
> Is this something that everyone on the planet is going to want
> to have?  Not literally, but it shouldn't be something of limited
> interest.

I expect that sooner or later it will be part of all the
distributions, and I sure hope it will be good enough lots of people
will be using it.

> On the other hand, you can just stick an entry in /etc/services
> and use getservbyname() to determine the port number.

Yep. I just want to avoid having a conflict with other services.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net

Mother, I feel you under my feet